Process Controls Engineer
- Livermore, CA, US
- $120,000 - 150,000
Process/Process Controls Engineer
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
Our Infrastructure Team is focused on supporting the decarbonization of airports through novel electrolytic operations and fueling transportation through liquid hydrogen. It is a small, highly talented, focused, and motivated team and we believe it will be possible to accelerate the productization of liquefaction, grid stabilization, and electrolyzer technologies within this decade.
We are seeking an experienced Process or Process Controls Engineer to join our Infrastructure Product Team, with opportunities to progress to a technical leadership position. This position involves close collaboration with product delivery, project management, and aircraft hydrogen teams, and plays a key role in driving hydrogen and energy infrastructure via a compelling use-case, namely airports as energy hubs, and aircraft as a primary off-taker. The successful candidate will possess excellent creative engineering skills, project management expertise, strong leadership qualities, and organizational abilities to oversee a diverse and expanding set of complex programs involving liquid hydrogen, gaseous hydrogen, and conversion technologies.
Although project sizes may be modest initially, we anticipate that they will become larger and more complex over the next 12-24 months, with multiple stakeholders and eventual scaling to multi-million dollar investments. Initially, this role will involve opportunities in the US but will extend to support projects in the UK and EU.
- Lead the hydrogen infrastructure frontend engineering process from a controls standpoint: from concept and design, through execution and startup.
- Design and integrate gaseous hydrogen, liquid hydrogen or other cryogenic systems
- Develop cryogenic hydrogen project from concept to implementation. Develop PFDs, P&IDs and control philosophy which will be implemented with a Siemen’s S7 through the Simatic suite. Prior experience with PLC coding (Siemens, Allen Bradley, etc.) is required.
- Evaluate chemical equipment and processes to optimize performance and ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations. Experience with LOPAs and HAZOPs is critical.
- Create measurement and control systems for gaseous and cryogenic hydrogen systems.
- Manage the development, design, or construction of energy projects to ensure the acceptability of budgets and timelines; conformance to federal laws, state laws, and industry best practices; and requirements of a grant funded project.
- Troubleshoot and solve operational issues within a team of personnel. Problems will need to be addressed with a combination of engineering, process and controls solution.
- Hands-on approach scaling experiments and testing with a clear vision to it supports the delivery of the commercial product to market. There is emphasis on design, thermodynamic, and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- 10+ years of experience in Process Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (hydrogen or chemical industry experience preferred)
- Master’s degree in science or engineering
- Possess expertise in process engineering, gas technology (bonus for H2), rotating equipment, maintenance/reliability, and power engineering
- Quantifiable ability to deliver results while working under pressure, with experience in various roles encompassing gas technologies, cryogenics, operations (such as refining or chemicals), and engineering
- Ability to come up the curve on H2 codes, standards, and best practices, which is a must
- Proficient using Siemens Simatic or equivalent for PLC coding.
- Proficient using Hysys, Simulink, ChemCAD or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as good written and oral communication skills
- Degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience in building Liquid Hydrogen systems or other cryogenic systems is a bonus
- Have operational exposure to a variety of disciplines leading to design integration roles
- Expertise in process safety
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $150,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses
Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision
Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage
Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks
Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings
Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days)
Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year
The Flight Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations.