Senior Stress Engineer with FEA Specialism
- Kemble, UK
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
Integrating a novel propulsion system within existing aircraft designs is an important opportunity in decarbonising aviation. To meet this challenge, ZeroAvia require an ambitious and capable senior stress engineer to help deliver effective solutions for modifying and re-certifying aircraft.
The successful candidate will predominantly work on integrating ZeroAvia’s propulsion system onto airframe primary structures including understanding and mitigating against the impact the modifications have on the original aircraft type certificate. The candidate may also be involved in the structural verification of the powertrain and power generation system itself along with rig design.
Job responsibilities will include the design and analysis of aircraft mounting structures and structural assessment of primary aircraft structures to accommodate novel powertrain systems. The work will involve material selection, proposing solutions to achieve stress, stiffness, durability and damage tolerance requirements and weight and cost optimization. Strong experience with FEA is essential, as well as hand calculations. Experience in aircraft preliminary design and working on CS-23 certified or regional aircraft programs a benefit.
Must have a strong mechanical engineering experience and ability to work independently. Experience with complex components and assemblies. Experience with Aircraft and Automotive drivetrain systems a plus. Knowledge of FAA, EASA, CAA regulatory structures, rules, and regulations a plus.
- Be the focal point for FEA within the Aircraft Integration team.
- Perform simulation and analytical analysis of powertrain structural integrations, including motor, and H2 fuel tank mounting to assess for strength, stiffness and durability.
- Apply knowledge of materials (metallics and composites), finishes, welding, and other manufacturing processes to best meet product requirements.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Work closely with engineers and manufacturing personnel to ensure that all aspects of the design are understood.
- Serve as liaison with operations during fabrication of parts to ensure that all design issues are resolved, and drawings are updated.
- Provide expertise to review subcontractor design deliverables of critical aircraft equipment.
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals/deadlines.
Experience and qualifications
Education: Master’s degree or higher in an appropriate discipline and commensurate depth of related technical experience.
- High level of expertise in FE model creation and FE analysis. With GFEM and DFEM experience.
- Proficient in one or more FEA packages: (Ansys, MSc/Nastran, Hyperworks/ Optistrut)
- Expert in one or more types of analyses: linear-static analysis, dynamic analysis, non-linear analysis.
- Understanding of metallurgy, material models and failure modes.
- High proficiency in composite (FRP) design, sizing, and failure analysis including through FEA.
- Programming experience in Python or Matlab
- Structural testing experience
- Verification experience of computational/analytical models.
- Comfortable working from first principles.
- Good knowledge of design for manufacture and assembly
- Knowledge of Solidworks.
- Knowledge and experience of thermo-mechanical analysis.
- Tool and methodology development experience.
- Commensurate depth of related Aerospace industry experience.
- Have the ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues and customers alike.
- Excellent level of spoken and written English (additional languages a plus).
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as good written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with aircraft load generation and computation.
- Experience in aeroelasticity.
- Fatigue and damage tolerance experience.
- Vibration and noise analysis experience.
- Experience in the creation of complex aerospace 3D CAD and mechanical engineering drawings.
- Knowledge of CS23.
- Full aircraft design life-cycle experience.
- Rig design and welding.
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.