- Kemble, UK
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
The Safety & Reliability Engineer supports the engineering team in understanding how the system will deteriorate as it progresses through life and ultimately fail, determining what the resulting failure effects might be.
- Utilize understanding of how fuel cell systems, hydrogen systems and their associated subsystems fail and characterize those failures numerically, using probabilistic and deterministic mathematical methods;
- Develop and maintain safety and reliability models for the fuel cell system, hydrogen management system and associated subsystems;
- Facilitate R&M tasks (FMEA, FMECA FTA, etc) with component-responsible engineers and suppliers;
- Utilize reliability models and analysis as inputs to system life cycle cost models and system op-operation and maintenance planning strategies;
- Work closely with system engineers to develop and cascade reliability requirements from the aircraft level to the subsystem and component level;
- Work closely with component responsible engineers and suppliers/partners to analyze the reliability of designs and ensure reliability is considered from the onset in the initial design stage.
Essential experience and qualifications
- A degree level qualification in a STEM subject and/or experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Propulsion, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered.
- Strong skills in mathematics and experience with statistical techniques
- A logical approach to problem-solving the ability to collect, filter and analyze data from design, test and service using various statistical techniques.
- knowledge/experience in Safety & Reliability engineering.
- Experience in applying Reliability & Safety processes and tools e.g. Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA), Failure Reporting Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS)
- Experience in de velopment and layout of PEM Fuel cell systems for mobile applications
- Experience in design, characterization, verification, and testing of fuel cell system components.
- Experience in developing fuel cell system Balance of plant (BoP) components and understanding of PEM fuel cell stack operating conditions, stack testing and characterization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to 14 CFR 25.1309
- Experience and Knowledge of Development Assurance and ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Proficient in requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Development Assurance and experience with ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Experience and knowledge of design requirements for High Voltage systems as part of PEM fuel cell systems.
- Experience in Engineering Simulation Software (ANSYS, MATLAB Simulink, Python)
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.