Mechanical Design Engineer - Infrastructure
- Kemble, UK
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
A key engineering role reporting into the general Mechanical Engineering Skillpool and working within the Infrastructure Division. Working closely with the product delivery, project management and aircraft hydrogen teams, this role needs strong creative engineering skills, project engineering and organisation to manage a thriving and growing set of complex programmes in liquid hydrogen, gaseous hydrogen and conversion technologies. Project sizes may be small today but are complex and we expect them to grow in the next 12-24 months to multi-stakeholder projects that will eventually scale to multiple million-dollar investments. The role will primarily be based out of the UK or the US, with the opportunity to travel.
- Experience in rotating equipment specification preferred – preferably operational exposure to several disciplines to enable design integration work
- The role includes supplier and client-facing interaction. The candidate should be able to engage with the local market, specialists in materials, thermodynamics, turbomachinery pressure equipment etc. and integrate as needed into projects
- Hands-on approach to resolving design issues, with the ability to scale the team going forward: comfortable with detailed design and thermal calculation
- Experience with CFD packages is a bonus
- Expertise in how to self-start and self-direct technical programme developments,
- Expertise in process safety is preferable
- Mastery of Front End Engineering Design studies
- Experience with gas processes, and with H2 specifically is desired
- Experience with Systems engineering approaches preferred
- B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or similar preferred; further qualifications a bonus
- Innovation, growth hacking project development experience within process industries, industrial gas companies, hard tech, automotive (CNG/H2), EPCM or O&G
- Capital project delivery experience is a bonus
- Quantifiable experience of delivery under pressure, a range of roles spanning gas technologies, operations (e.g. refining) and engineering is necessary
- Top-tier companies/start-ups track record with the desire to build something in a nimble but disciplined fashion.
- LH2 experience
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.