Power Electronics Engineer
- Everett, WA, US
- $120,000 - 175,000
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
The successful Power Electronics Engineer will join the Propulsion team responsible for the design, integration, and maintenance of electronics and software for aircraft propulsion and power generation systems. This multi-disciplined team covers all aspects including power electronics, digital & analog design, and digital & RF communications. You will be involved in defining electrical system architecture against requirements and technical capabilities. You will work within all areas of electronics design development, part definition and generation, schematic entry, PCB layout, embedded code generation, development testing/debugging, and verification.
The successful engineer will be confident in a multidisciplinary capacity focused on power electronics and electronics hardware design. You'll also have a good appreciation for EMC & EMI design mitigations and test methodologies and the ability to use CAD tools such as Altium for schematic and layout generation.
- Analysis and testing including, but not limited to: loss modeling, EMI, failure modes, and performance for a 200 kW aerospace traction inverter.
- Design and testing of SiC and IGBT gate drive and protection solutions (such as desaturation detection) with high immunity against EMI susceptibility.
- Design and analysis of gate drive power supply including magnetic, electrical and mechanical aspects
- Design highly integrated multilayer circuits with high-speed communication to operate within harsh environments and EMI.
- Maintain products across their functional lifecycle and support supplier and production teams with technical input.
- Electronics circuit schematic and PCB layout analysis to support design and verification.
- Electronics module commissioning and testing including circuit card reworking to support system and aircraft integration.
- Execute and support verification tests to verify requirements.
- Own/support authoring, review, and release of technical documentation
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience and familiarity with : DO-160, IEC 60068, MIL-STD-810, IEC 60945, MIL-STD-461, DO-254.
- Experience with validation and testing of traction inverters against performance and EMI
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: Orcad, Allegro, PADS, Altium, DX Designer, Mathcad, LT Spice, Jama, Ansys
- Understanding of requirement and functionality capture at design level.
- Experience in: Embedded C, C++, Java, Python, MATLAB/ Simulink.
- Working experience in DSP, FPGA, microcontrollers and ASICs
- Working with high power converters with voltages up to 800Vdc
- Experience with design to meet EMI requirements: Conducted and radiated emission (MIL STD or DO160G, or equivalent)
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and InclusionAs a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $175,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
- The Fly Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations