Motor Control Design Engineer
- Everett, WA, US
- $120,000 - 175,000
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
- Responsible for motor control and monitoring algorithms and models (PMSM machines)
- Responsible for requirement capturing and motor control architecture design
- Responsible for creating multi design optimisation algorithm including all the systems
- Develop motor control with sensor and sensorless control (Kalman, flux observer, sliding mode, Resolver, Encoder , Effect hall sensors)
- Create and implement the Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) test bench using a real-time simulator for power electronics, interfaces and sensors
- Integrate and debug motion control models, including inverters, fuel cell and motors, cooling systems, sensors, and systems controllers
- Create test plans, procedures and reports following the standards for hardware and motor control software validation
- Set up the rapid prototype design and verification using RCP/Embedded code
- Support motor control and system in aircraft, troubleshooting, debugging
- Set up the dyno, back to back test rig, and support Ironbird control testing
- Support software integration by engineering embedded code and embedded firmware, and performing hardware-software integration.
- Support High Level software integration with Low Level software
- Hands on and support cross teams : Hardware and system team / Test team and aircraft integration
Experience and Qualifications:
Master’s degree in control system, electrical engineering or foreign equivalent
5 years of experience with motor control, software, hardware/software in the loop, Dyno, qualification, integration, and calibration, including 2 years of experience with the following:
- Motor control algorithm for PSM motor/generator: torque and speed control
- Experienced in developing motor control with sensor and sensorless control (Kalman, flux observer, sliding mode, Resolver, Encoder , Effect hall sensors)
- Excellent knowledge of motor modelling, design and verification: Electromagnetic , thermal and electrical modelization
- Experience with power electronics Inverters/Converters and electrical systems
- Excellent capability/ability to standardize control and monitoring algorithm
- Excellent knowledge of software models and hand-coding
- Excellent and versatile capability to run Dyno and back-to-back motor
- Hands-on and support cross teams: Hardware and system team / Test team and aircraft integration
- Hardware in the loop design and verification
- Design and implementation of a rapid prototype using dSPACE products
- Implementation of automatized test benches using, HIL, Python, Excel
- Highly experienced in MATLAB coding, Simulink, Target link, Embedded code environment
- Troubleshooting test benches and equipment, analogue, digital, high-speed communication
- Excellent ability and skills with CAN buses, RS232, Ethernet
- Troubleshooting Software (Code C) with code compose
- Experienced in high fidelity plant models (motor, inverter, etc)
- Experienced in feedback and feedforward control design
- Experienced in designing FOC, Fault handling, SVPWM and state machine etc
- Experienced in creating design optimisation algorithms
- Experienced in performing stability analysis
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $175,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations