Head of Motor Design
- Everett, WA, US
- $200,000 - 230,000
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
- Lead, grow and manage the electric motor design & engineering teams responsible for design, development, integration, and implementation of new products from engineering samples to production
- Define objectives, metrics, and key results for the product design org and drive results
- Develop leadership qualities in a team through active coaching, evaluate performance and provide timely feedback, create growth opportunities
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering leads and certification to innovate, assess trade-offs and converge on reliable, performance and certifiable electric motor
- Lead Development of electromagnetic, thermal and mechanical design for propulsion motors
- Lead the mechanical design of a complex multi-disciplinary product
- Work closely with and manage suppliers to ensure all design requirements are specified and achieved
- Resolve product issues throughout the product development life cycle via systematic root causing and solution validation
- Engage in advanced projects and IP development
- Perform worst case analysis and implement design for manufacturing best practices
- Assist characterization, parameter estimation, tuning and calibration of motor system on dyno
- Develop testing plans to validate motor electromagnetic and thermal designs including performance and durability
- Lead the simulation simulations, tolerance , fault analysis, FMECA, FTA …etc. to improve performance, quality, and cost and well as follow engineering best practices
- Actively participate in and drive design reviews. Sign off on designs, drawings, ECO's and test reports to meet phase gate requirements and successfully launch products
- Analysis and motor optimization using appropriate tools (MATLAB , Python …etc)
- Design and simulate radial-flux electric motors (from a high-level sizing perspective through to detailed prediction of performance and efficiency)
- Demonstrate a creative attitude, find new solutions and investigate relevant novel technologies and their application
- Develop our parametric motor performance prediction models
- Lead and support verification tests to compare experimental and simulation results
- Support supply chain, procurement with technical specifications and supplier interface
- Contribute to the motor and system requirements capture and decomposition process from system level to component level
- Participate in technical design review sessions to evaluate solutions
- Validates the design of new products or product enhancements by completing various analyses such as stack-ups, DFMEA, Finite Element Analysis, Design for Assembly/ Manufacturing studies, and Noise, Vibration, and Harshness studies
- Continuously evaluate new technologies and design improvements to develop the most power dense, efficient electric motor
- Data analysis and scripting to automate data collection of powertrain and aircraft performance
- Ownership of components from concept, design, testing, validation, and production release and support.
- Design packages – detailed drawings, analysis reports, BOMs, assembly instructions
- Support certification effort for requirement, means of compliance to testing
- Excellent communication skills in both technical and non-technical environments.
- Daily activities include performing cross-functional engineering calculations, operating tools to provide technical support to internal/external customers and creating demonstrations for client’s engagement.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Strong leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Experience using Ansys tools, such as Motor-CAD, Maxwell, Fluent, and Ansys Mechanical, for electric machine design and analysis is preferred, but expertise with other simulation tools for electromagnetic, thermal, mechanical, or system analysis is also accepted
- Experience on Electromagnetics, Thermal, structural statics/dynamics, material science applied to motors application.
- Experience of electric propulsion high power (High Torque – High Speed) motor design.
- Experience of optimization methods and software.
- Experience of Electrical, thermal, and mechanical analysis.
- Experience with motor control and power electronics.
- Proficient on Ansys tools suite/Matlab/Solid work
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) with Fluent
- Experience of CAD tools suite - Solid Work
- Expert Low-Frequency Full-field Electromagnetics with Maxwell applied to Electric Motor Design
- Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering Degree (MSc or, preferably, PhD).
- AC traction motor electromagnetic design (particularly radial-flux).
- AC motor modeling and control theory (d/q reference frame).
- Electromagnetic FEA (ANSYS and other .
- Experience in cooling approaches for electric proportion motors.
- Electric motor insulation knowledge (requirements specification, aging analysis, automotive specifications, etc).
- Test procedures for automotive-grade electric traction motors (life rating, efficiency & performance, drive cycles, etc).
- Understanding of aerospace considerations for electric drivetrains.
- Programming / scripting and data analysis (MATLAB / Python / Excel).
- Large-scale optimization procedures & approaches.
- Simulation of dynamic systems .
- 3D CAD and thermal FEA / CFD experience
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $ 200,000 - $230,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations